Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Flat Iron Cozy

Flat Iron Holder

Slide it in the sleeve

Tuck in the cord



Do up the button



Managing my flat iron was driving me crazy. It didn't come with a heat proof sleeve so I inevitably left it on the counter... for days on end. *blush*

This works fine at home but isn't so great for travel because getting ready is pretty much the last thing you do before you leave and you end up having to pack a 400 degree iron. Eek. 

We went to the gym on Sunday and I made-do with a wash cloth wrapped around the hot iron and secured with a hair elastic. Not pretty, but I didn't burn a hole through my swim cap either. 

It was just the catalyst I needed to make something better. This project was my first brush with Insul-brite  the cool stuff that lines pot holders and oven mitts to make them heat proof and I have to say it's pretty awesome. And I used some more of the gorgeous Art Gallery Fabric my sweetie bought me. Yay!

I still need to improve my skills beyond those on par with The Grinch but I'm getting there. And my counter looks so much better without being cluttered up with my iron.

handmade projects

8 comments:

Darcy Marshall said...

oh my word, I love this so much. Mine are left on my dresser all the time too, or hanging off the huge metal giraffe in my bedroom.

Dunx said...

You must be using "flat iron" in a different way than I am familiar with. To me, a "flat iron" is an archaic name for what you press your clothes with. Is this a hair pressing device?

Kim's Treasures said...

Cute! You are way ahead of me with the sewing skills!

Juls said...

this is fab...so practical ...love the patchwork and the funky fabrics you have put together! Hugs Juls

Calicojoan said...

Great idea I need something for my curling iron, this would work great. By the way, congrats on becoming a US citizen!

Ashley Newell said...

This is fabulous! Will these be in your Etsy shop? I just got a flat iron today, my first ever. My new hair style requires it. I guess I should have gotten the iron with the cover.

Rebecca Geile said...

I would be so excited if you sold these on etsy. Hint hint.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness! This is amazing! Matt hates that mine is always sitting out on the bathroom counter Ü

Just found your blog and you are so talented. What a great neighbor I have ;)