Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm inspired by...


Today's page was a little hard for me because I can't get around so I don't have access to my supplies. I decided to just use what was next to my chair - india ink, a skewer, an old painted doily, red spray, yellow paint, black pen.


Yes, with more energy and less pain that would have been enough to make something swell, but that's just not what I've got in me today.

This is the page I started with. And to be honest, I think it's most likely a bit nicer then the page I ended up with. Yeah... that's how it goes some days. But it's an art journal - if things work out every time then you're not trying new things.


I thought I'd share a technique I like. First you apply acrylic paint to your page with a credit card through punchinella (sequin waste).


Then use your heat tool to dry it but go too close, or too long so that it puffs up and the paint boil a bit.


Once the paint bubbles have cooled, pat them down with your fingers - MAKE SURE THEY ARE COMPLETELY COOL OR YOU"LL GET BURNT!!! - and you get a cool textured effect.


It's a nice riff on the paint through punchinella look.



Click here to join 30 Days of Lists

8 comments:

Francine said...

Sorry you're having a tough day
friend. I love your page though. :)

acclair said...

Loving your art journal!

Maggi said...

That is a cool tip about the heat gun, I'll have to try it! I'm sorry you're in pain, I hope you feel better soon!

Kristin said...

This is such a neat looking page! Thanks for sharing the technique as well (it reminds me of corn on the cob!)

Hope you're feeling better!

Bonita Rose said...

love your list, you must love the mountains, you mentioned them twice! xo

Ohh Erin said...

Sorry you're not feeling too good.
Lovely list once again, mountains are a neverending source of inspiration to me too, i'm very lucky to be surrounded by them.

Kathi said...

Sorry you're having a tough day. However, you did make a really cool page. I'll definitely try that heated paint thing.

Unknown said...

Sequin waste???? What??? Love the 'bubble wrap' type texture idea. What the heck is sequin waste?