Friday, June 13, 2014

Put a Bird on It: Hand Carved Stamp




I adore carving stamps. Seriously, it's so relaxing and it really zones me out in the best way possible. So when I was coveting a very popular bird stamp I decided to make one instead. 

Of course it's completely different in look and feel from the purchased kind with their smooth, thin lines; but I love the rough, hand-of-the-artist look of them. 




As I am prone to do, I made a second stamp to 'color' my birds. This is a tremendous time saver and I always feel so clever when I make a stamp to fill in the colored parts. 

This could have easily been a three-step stamp if I wanted to add another for shading but I really like the look of the single color.




Making a card was easy as can be - a little Basic Gray, a PL journal card and my bird. 


This tag is a mix of collaged gelli-prints (deli paper), paint, stenciling, my stamp (on a manilla tag for heft), torn ledger paper and some sequins. I really like how the strips of gelli-prints imply trees without being too literal. 






Thanks so much for stopping by!


8 comments:

Hazel Agnew said...

Never made carved stamps Nicole, what do you use? I love your birds, they are very stylish. Look so at home on your gelli plate backgrounds. Make me want to play! Xx

Felicia said...

Love the card and the cute tag Nicole! I haven't made my own stamp either before. Love yours, but I am sure I would find a way to mess it up!! LOL!! Maybe I will give it a go one day! LOL!

My name is Erika. said...

Love your birds and your projects you made using them. I think making the background stamp is a great idea. Do you have trouble lining them up?

Dagmar said...

wow - a great stamp and i love your tag and the card with the bird!

Dee Spillane said...

I love your bird and your samples

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks Nicole for your email about lining up your stamps. Great suggestions, especially about the beak. I am going to try carving some images to fill in like you did with your bird, and your advice will be taken. Stay away from flowers-which makes sense.

Carmen said...

Oh I love it and what a great idea with the second stamp! Stamp carving is something I keep meaning to try but always worry my hands aren't steady enough. i should just do it!

LOVE your birdy!

Mel said...

I love this so much!! Great job!